To perform and report various laboratory tests prescribed by physicians. Has advanced experience and/or laboratory training that give this candidate the ability (advanced tech skill inventory) to perform this service in multiple or highly specialized sections of the laboratory as assigned. Provides assistance to the Director and Supervisor for procedure development, product evaluation, quality monitors, review of technical/regulatory manuals and other technical duties.
• Accurately performs routine to highly complex diagnostic tests or procedures as assigned in multiple laboratory sections (advanced tech skill inventory) and reports results through appropriate channels. Completes, evaluates and records all appropriate quality controls and quality assurance markers. Activates troubleshooting procedures when necessary. Trains others to perform this responsibility when assigned.
• Assists others (as appropriate based on skill level) by demonstrating expertise of advance experience and or training (tech skill inventory) as necessary for laboratory operation and provides IMPACT feedback to the Supervisor. Maintains an awareness of laboratory science, products and procedures and makes recommendations for improvements to the Director or Supervisor. Assists with procedure development, product evaluations, quality monitors and regulatory compliance as assigned
• Performs preventative/safety maintenance on equipment and maintains a safe, clean and efficient work environment. Takes initiative in problem solving equipment failures to the extent capable. Communicates unresolved issues to supervisor or designee. Complies with personal protective equipment (PPE) and other laboratory and hospital safety standards 100% of the time. Notifies supervisor of unsafe events. Responsibly controls and maintains inventory. Trains others to perform this responsibility when assigned.
• Provides professional, courteous and calm customer service to both internal and external customers. Identifies appropriate resources and sources for re-directed inquiries. Acts as a reference source for laboratory procedures within their skill inventory as necessary. Takes charge of any unusual or problem situations and reports issue to Supervisor or Director.
• Regularly reviews operational procedure manuals, individual competency assessment, quality assurance monitors for completeness, accuracy and regulatory compliance. Assists the Supervisor with recommendations for content, accuracy and improvements. Actively identifies and pursues technical learning needs. Actively participates in laboratory section continuing education/quality assurance meetings by providing instructional support and presentations. Successfully completes 12 units of approved continuing education activities during evaluation cycle.
Additional Technical Requirements
• Exhibits the ability to work with computer programs and computer controlled equipment.
• Exhibits the ability to handle and interpret data, multitask, and maintains confidential material.
• Exhibits good laboratory technique and safety practices.
• Exhibits good communication, technical and organizational skills.
• Experience and/or training in multiple laboratory sections and high complexity testing (advanced tech skill inventory).
• Exhibits the ability interpret scientific literature & regulatory compliance and apply to laboratory policy & procedure improvement or development.
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Bachelors of Science in Medical Technology or other science related fields.
Required Experience: Minimum of 3-5 years' experience; must demonstrate advanced technical skills inventory at a baseline level or higher.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Licenses/certificates/registrations: M.T., (ASCP), (NCA), or related specialty certification.