The Assistant Plant Engineer assists the Plant Engineers to maintain manufacturing/packaging/utility equipment and building facilities in proper operation by troubleshooting breakdowns and performing preventive maintenance. This position also ensures calibrations of critical equipment and instruments are completed and all documentation is maintained in a state of compliance.
- This position has no direct reports.
- Responsible for assisting the Plant Engineers and Facilities & Engineering Manager in the activities related to the upkeep, maintenance and repair of site equipment, the building and utility systems at the site.
- Perform mechanic skills including, but not limited to, mechanical, electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic troubleshooting and repair of packaging and production equipment.
- Provide emergency/unscheduled repairs of production equipment during production and performs scheduled maintenance repairs of production equipment.
- Participate in plant engineering, maintenance and calibration activities as needed.
- Knowledge of boiler operations.
- Observes pressure, temperature, and draft meters on boiler panel to verify specified operation of automatic combustion control systems, feed water regulators and burners.
- Assist in commissioning or qualification activities of site equipment, building and utility systems.
- Write SOP, protocols and maintenance reports for manufacturing and utility equipment.
- Collect quotations from vendors, creating and maintaining purchase orders for department.
- Read and interpret equipment manuals and work orders to perform required maintenance and service.
- Maintain inventory of parts required for preventative maintenance.
- Schedule vendors for calibration and preventive maintenance of production and utility equipment.
- Set up and operates all tools and equipment necessary to perform assigned work.
- Assist with maintenance compliance duties.
- Assign work and resolve routine problems within the Maintenance Department.
- Maintain site computerized Calibration and Preventative Maintenance program (TrackPro)
- Issue monthly calibration schedules and update TrackPro system once the calibration done.
- Coordinating with outside service provider and internal departments to schedule the instruments and equipment to be calibrated.
- Periodic in-house Calibration for variety of production equipment/instrument including but not limited to as Friability Testers, Hardness Testers, Thickness Gauges and Moisture Analyzers, etc.
- Perform and record in logbook Daily and Weekly Calibration/Verification Checks for weight balances and scales at HPL site (includes all building as appropriate).
- Issue calibration certificates for each internally calibrated instrument and equipment.
- Review and Compile all the calibration certificates for internal and external calibrations.
- Maintain inventory for weight standards and kits.
- Review daily Temperature and Humidity reports for manufacturing/packaging areas and submit to QA.
- Perform daily checks of Purified Water System (PWS).
- Coordinate with service providers for all PWS maintenance such as sanitization, UV lamp change, change of tanks, On-line TOC Analyzers calibration, etc.
- Coordinate scheduling for Environmental Monitoring sampling, review reports and submit to QA.
- Ensures adherence to personnel and equipment SOPs and other regulatory requirements.
- All other job-related duties.
Specialized Skills and Knowledge:
- Associate/Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related discipline plus two years prior experience in pharmaceutical industry (or equivalent relevant experience).
- Perform work in more than one of the maintenance trades: carpentry, plumbing, painting, machine and equipment repair, electrical and forklift operation.
- Moderate Functional Knowledge of Maintenance Trades
- Moderate Knowledge of regulatory requirements and codes
- Problem solving